We spoke with Dr. Marie Waung, an industrial-organizational psychologist and professor at the University of Michigan-Dearborn, about the field of psychology in general and the skills one can acquire by studying psychology. Maddy & Zenon also talked about the history of psychology, research on career anxiety, and some basic terms & concepts to prepare listeners for the interview.
Some of the skills Dr. Waung discussed include:
- Critical thinking & analytical skills
- Evaluation of information
- Writing & speaking skills
- Research methods and statistics
- Computer skills, especially with statistical software
- Interpersonal skills; working with others, integrating diverse perspectives
Dr. Waung mentioned the Occupational Outlook Handbook, a resource published by the federal government that looks at outcomes and predictions for many different careers.
We’d also like to recommend this book to anyone who wants to know more about different careers in which knowledge of psychology can be useful!
Send us an email at email@example.com!
Follow us on Twitter @PreOccPodcast!
Music: Aaron Mealey
Graphics: Colin Mealey